Digest>Mar/Apr 2023

Photo Caption:

Tillamook Rock Lighthouse 3rd assistant keeper, Louis C. Sauer, was brought to the Oregon State Insane Asylum (shown below) after he became demented while on duty at the light in March of 1890. Tragically, he died at the asylum not even a year later on February 25, 1891. Louis was German-born and had served in the 6th Indiana Cavalry during the Civil War. He owned a ranch near Coos Bay, Oregon, and was unmarried. He is buried in the Salem Pioneer Cemetery in Salem, Oregon.
Back to the edition of: Mar/Apr 2023


A Day in the Life of Rasmus Petersen
Back to the edition of: Mar/Apr 2023

All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2023   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History