Digest>Jul/Aug 2021

Photo Caption:

In 1867, Fort Strong was established on the island and in 1870, a 10-gun battery was constructed. The fort was reconstructed and modernized in 1900. On September 30, 1947, the fort was declared surplus, but briefly reactivated during the NIKE anti-missile era as a radar site. In 1940, the U.S. Army also constructed Fort Dawes on the island. It was active until December 20, 1957. The Long Island Head Lighthouse can be seen toward the upper left-hand section of this vintage photograph of Long Island in Boston Harbor, Massachusetts. (From the Images of America book, The Military History of Boston’s Harbor Island, courtesy Acadia Publishing)
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2021


America’s First Cast Iron Tower and the Lighthouses of Boston Harbor’s Long Island
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2021

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History