Digest>May/Jun 2021

Photo Caption:

When enlarged, this 1892 photo of the construction of the second Umpqua River Lighthouse possibly shows Carl Leick standing atop the tower, second to the right, as evident by his heavy full beard, dressed in a suit and vest with white collar pulled up, and wearing a bowler hat. The first Umpqua River Lighthouse was built in 1857 in a flood plain which eventually caused its collapse after several severe storms compromised its foundation. Leick’s lighthouse, built further inland on a headland, still stands today. (Lighthouse Digest archives)
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2021


A Style of His Own
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2021

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History