Digest>Jul/Aug 2019

Photo Caption:

Completed on January 16, 1874, the Penfield Reef Lighthouse is considered one of the most dangerous areas of Long Island Sound; it was a peninsula a few centuries ago. The lantern once housed a 4th order Fresnel lens. On December 22, 1916, lighthouse keeper Frederick A. Jordan left the lighthouse to deliver his hand-made Christmas gifts to his family on shore. However, strong winds and high seas capsized his boat. The assistant keeper, who watched in horror from the lighthouse, was unable to save the head keeper from drowning. In 1969, the Coast Guard wanted to demolish the lighthouse, but local citizens’ complaints saved the structure.
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2019


Penfield Reef Light To Become Columbarium
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2019

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History