Digest>Sep/Oct 2018

Photo Caption:

Along with the supporting tower structure being improved to a skeletal tower prior to 1935, the Van Wie’s Point light characteristic was also changed. In the 1920 annual report of the Secretary of Commerce, the beacon was on the list of lights where illumination was improved from fixed to flashing or occult lights. (Photo courtesy National Archives.) By 1945, there were two lights at Van Wie’s Point - one near the old location out in the river, and the second on the dyke a few hundred yards upriver. Both were of similar construction and type but resting on slightly different foundations. (Photo courtesy National Archives.)
Back to the edition of: Sep/Oct 2018


A Hudson River Legacy:
Back to the edition of: Sep/Oct 2018

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History