Digest>Sep/Oct 2018

Photo By:


Susan Leath

Photo Caption:

A replica of the Van Wie’s post lantern is exhibited at the Bethlehem Historical Association. The first light was originally described as having a white stone base with a wood lantern post on top. The 1872 Lighthouse Board annual report stated that the beacon was being undermined by the waves of passing steamers and needed 100 more tons of stone added for its protection. In the 1880s, it was upgraded to include a black crane from which to hang the lantern.
Back to the edition of: Sep/Oct 2018


A Hudson River Legacy:
Back to the edition of: Sep/Oct 2018

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History