Digest>May/Jun 2018

Photo Caption:

The official name of the Ipswich Lighthouse was the Ipswich Rear Range Lighthouse. Located in Ipswich, Massachusetts, it was automated in 1932 and later discontinued. In 1939 contractor Theodore Loranger of New Bedford, Massachusetts was hired by the government to dismantle the lighthouse and transport it to the Chelsea Lighthouse Depot where it was refurbished and then transported to Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts to replace the old Edgartown Lighthouse that had been damaged beyond repair in a hurricane. It still stands there to this day. (Lighthouse Digest archives photo, Robert J. Lewis collection.)
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2018


Lighthouse Keeper Carl Delano Hill
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2018

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History