Digest>June 2010

Photo Caption:

1916 image of the 1867 keepers house that was expanded in 1910 at Assateague Lighthouse. In 1897 when the large new keeper’s house was built, it became the home of the third assistant keeper and became known as the Keeper’s Cottage. When Assateague Lighthouse no longer needed a head keeper, the third assistant keeper moved out of this structure and into the big house, which was known as the “Keeper’s Mansion.” This structure still stands today. It was first used for the Refuge Manager and more recently for summer interns. (Lighthouse Digest archives.)
Back to the edition of: June 2010


Assateague Lighthouse and Its Island
Back to the edition of: June 2010

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History