Digest>June 2010

Photo Caption:

The 1893 “Keeper’s Mansion,” as it was often referred to, at Assateague Lighthouse. This was an impressive home. Eventually, the government sold this structure along with 3.88 acres of land and the building became a hunting lodge. At a later time it was privately purchased and transferred to Chincoteague in the mid-1930s where it became a feed store. In the early 2000s it was moved again and became a private home. There are various stories about the rest of the building. Some say parts of it fell apart when they were taking it down the hill and others have stated that sections of it remained standing until the Fish & Wildlife Service removed it. (Photograph courtesy Mariners’ Museum, Newport News, VA.)
Back to the edition of: June 2010


Assateague Lighthouse and Its Island
Back to the edition of: June 2010

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History