Digest>March 2010

Photo Caption:

Ashtabula’s lighthouse history dates back to the early 1800s when the first light was hung from a broom pole on the west pier. The first actual lighthouse, shown here was built in 1836 on the east pier and had what is known as a “bird cage” style lantern room. The first keeper, Samuel Miniger, only stayed on for one year. Why he left is unknown. However, the second keeper, Jonathan Johnson, started his position on May 28, 1838 and he resigned one month later on June 14, 1838. Lighthouse keeping at this early lighthouse must have been difficult. Ten of the next twelve lighthouse keepers resigned from the job and two were removed by the government. One of the best examples of a still-existing bird cage style lantern room can be found at the restored Prudence Island Lighthouse in Rhode Island. The Ashtabula Lighthouse, shown here, was demolished in 1876. (Photograph courtesy of the Great Lakes Historical Society.)
Back to the edition of: March 2010


Ashtabula Volunteers Saving Lighthouse History
Back to the edition of: March 2010

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History