This lighthouse still has its rare, orignal birdcage-style lantern. It was only in service a short time before it was replaced by the Bailey's Harbor Range Lights. The old birdcage-style lantern is in poor condition as of August 2001.
Description of Tower: Conical stone tower.
Listed on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of endangered lighthouses.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1851
Date Present Tower Built: 1851
Date Deactivated: 1869
Current Use: Private residence.
Open To Public? No.
From Highway 57 North, take Ridges Road and follow to the end. The lighthouse is just offshore on an island.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: David Ward (1853-1854), Michael Green (1854-1855), Newton Bacon (1855-1862), William Mitchell (1862-1863), William Darling (1863-1869)