Digest>Archives> May 2000

Historic Photo Donated


You can see an enlarged version of this picture by clicking here.
>> Click to enlarge <<

This historic photograph records the history of three Maine Lighthouse Keepers at their retirement in 1950. The Keepers in the dark uniforms are left to right - Keeper Myrick Morrison of Curtis Island Lighthouse; Keeper Arthur Beal of Whitehead Lighthouse and Keeper Arthur Mitchell of Fort Point Lighthouse. Look closely, all three men had the K insignia on their jacket lapels indicating that they were keepers, and all had the lighthouse and cluster on their hats, something left over from the days of the old U.S. Lighthouse Service. This rare photograph was donated to us by Dave Gamage.

This story appeared in the May 2000 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History