This past June, the replica of the original Vermilion Lighthouse in Vermilion, Ohio received a $17,000 refurbishment. The work was made possible thanks to the efforts of The Main Street Vermilion Lighthouse Preservation Committee.
According to city officials, $15,000 of the money came from donations, including 20 gallons of paint donated by Sherwin-Williams. The actual work was done by Centaur Contracting-Painting Company.
The project included sand-blasting the lighthouse down to the bare metal and then priming it with an industrial primer and finally painting it with enamel gloss polyurethane. Reportedly, the new gloss paint will prevent debris and dirt from sticking to the structure and it will last for 15 years.
The structure was privately built in 1991 as a replica of the light tower that had been removed from Vermilion in 1929 and taken to the Lighthouse Depot in Buffalo, New York for storage and repairs. It was later installed near Cape Vincent, New York to become the East Charity Shoal Light in Lake Ontario.
In 2016, a reproduction Fresnel lens manufactured by Dan Spinella of Artworks Florida was installed in the replica of Vermilion Lighthouse. (Photos by Scott Dommin)
This story appeared in the
Sep/Oct 2020 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.