After being damaged in a 2019 storm, the Canadian Coast Guard has demolished the Passage Lower Lighthouse. It was stated that the damage was too severe to repair the structure. Built in 1907 at Ile Leblanc on the north side of the Ottawa River by Fort William in Quebec the white pyramidal wooden tower with a red lantern was built to replace an earlier tower from 1887. The Coast Guard plans to replace it with some type of structure, a plan that was delayed by the COVID-19 Pandemic.
This story appeared in the
Jul/Aug 2020 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2023 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.