At its annual fundraiser this past August, the Friends of Acadia raised $240,000 toward helping to rehabilitate Maine’s Baker Island Lighthouse as well as Acadia National Park’s two carriage road gatehouses. The next steps are to identify what specific work needs to be done and allocate the funds.
In 2011 the ownership of the lighthouse was transferred under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act to the National Park Service. However, no work has been done in many years toward any real maintenance of the light station. The 1855 light station has sat empty for many years. Although the keeper’s house looks to be in fair condition, the tower itself is showing signs of extensive deterioration. Both will need extensive restoration.
(Photos by Joe Hill.)
The old weathered sign by the lighthouse says: “Baker Island Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in the Mount Desert Island area. Built in 1828, William Gilley was appointed as the first lighthouse keeper. Whale oil was once used to keep the light burning; a 35 watt solar panel now does the job today.”
This story appeared in the
Nov/Dec 2017 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2018 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.