The Gasparilla Island Lighthouse is shown here with the scaffolding up for the massive restoration taking place at the historic structure.
The lighthouse was originally constructed in 1881 as the Delaware Rear Range Lighthouse in Lewes, Delaware where it stood until 1921 when it was disassembled and taken down. It was eventually moved to Florida and reassembled as the Boca Grande Entrance Range Rear Lighthouse in Boca Grande, Florida. In 2003, its name was officially changed to the Gasparilla Island Lighthouse.
This story appeared in the
Jan/Feb 2017 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.
All contents copyright © 1995-2017 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.