Digest>Archives> Jul/Aug 2013

The Short Move of a Lowered Lighthouse


You can see an enlarged version of this picture by clicking here.
>> Click to enlarge <<

Shown here from one of the many original photographs in the archives of Lighthouse Digest is the Ijmuiden Front Lighthouse in the Netherlands as it appeared on December 8, 1966 shortly before it was to be slightly moved due to the reshaping of the harbor. At the time there was some talk about demolishing the lighthouse, but because it was one of the oldest lighthouses in the country it was decided to save it.

The Ijmuiden Front Lighthouse, known locally as the “Outer Lighthouse,” is one of six lighthouses in Ijmuiden which is in the Noord-Holland Province, west of Amsterdam. Interestingly, the Ijmuiden Front Lighthouse used to be much taller. In 1909, when the channel was made wider and deeper, the the top three sections of the lighthouse were removed so that when seen from the sea the inner and outer lighthouses could be lined up for navigational purposes. At that time, the top three sections were then loaded onto a barge and moved to Vieland where they were mounted and bolted to the site of the original foundation of the stone Vuurduin Lighthouse in Vieland that had been demolished.

This story appeared in the Jul/Aug 2013 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History