Digest>Archives> Jan/Feb 2009

Monument From The German Empire


You can see an enlarged version of this picture by clicking here.
>> Click to enlarge <<
Photo by: Oliver Mellet

The Cap Nachtigal Lighthouse was built in 1901 as a monument in honor of Gustav Nachitgal who was an explorer sent to Africa by the King of Prussia. Nachtigal founded the German colony of Kamerun in 1884 and it remained part of the German Empire until 1916. It is now now the Republic of Cameroon. A lantern room was added to the monument in 1904. The lighthouse is located on an island near the town of Limbe and is open to the public.

This story appeared in the Jan/Feb 2009 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History