Digest>Archives> March 1997

Hook Head


You can see an enlarged version of this picture by clicking here.
>> Click to enlarge <<
Ireland's Hook Head Lighthouse. The tower is in ...
Photo by: Kathleen Finnegan

According to Bill Long in his book, Bright Light, White Water the lighthouse was the headquarters for a band of counterfeiters back in the 1600's, an industry in its own right, that survived until the 1641 Rebellion.

The tower was abandoned after the rebellion, however went back into operation in 1667.

According to Bill Long, the tower was later enlarged, although it is unclear who was responsible for the work. The height of the tower was increased as well as the diameter. The tower is not actually circular, a new wall was built outside the old wall and a stone staircase was built between the two.

After 824 years of operation as a manned station, Hook Head Lighthouse was automated in 1996.



This story appeared in the March 1997 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History