Digest>Archives> October 1995

Bodie Island gets new exhibit

By Mark Riddick


While most people are more familiar with the endangered Cape Hatteras Light, the Outer Banks' Bodie island Light 40 miles north attracts its share of attention as well. The keeper's house (now a visitor's center) recently received several significant pieces of history to add to the existing exhibits.

The new additions include artifacts such as a clockwork mechanism, the oil reservoir from the sister Currituck Beach Lamp, a burnt out 1000 watt bulb from Bodie Island Light, and a portion of the First Order Fresnel lens from Cape Hatteras.

Also new are a series of wall displays detailing the life and work of the lighthouse keeper, tower types, a history of lighthouses and how they work, and lighthouse restoration and preservation.

Also, as it was last year, the public is invited to walk up into the base of the tower itself. Although rusted stairs prevent climbing, visitors are extremely impressed with the view up. Park service volunteers and members of the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society keep the lighthouse open from 10-4 weekdays and 1-4 most weekends. For additional information you can write to the Outer Banks Lighthouse Society, 210 Gallery Row, Nags Head, NC 27959, or call them at 919-441-4232.

This story appeared in the October 1995 edition of Lighthouse Digest Magazine. The print edition contains more stories than our internet edition, and each story generally contains more photographs - often many more - in the print edition. For subscription information about the print edition, click here.

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History