Digest>May/Jun 2016

Photo Caption:

Above: Immediately after it was constructed officials noticed that the Sturgeon Bay Lighthouse tower vibrated so much that it made it difficult to maintain the stability of light in the lens. There was also some fear that the lighthouse might topple. So, in an attempt to stabilize the tower, guy wires were then attached to the tower. Although the vibration problem was not solved, the government went ahead and lighted the beacon, and the lighthouse became officially active on March 17, 1899. Lighthouse officials then posed for this photo, with some of them on the lantern’s outer walkway to show that the tower was safe. At that time the tower was painted brown, and the watch-room and lantern were painted black.
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2016


Wrecking Ball Planned at Sturgeon BayCanal Light Station
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2016

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History