Digest>May/Jun 2016

Photo Caption:

As shown in this 1903 photograph, a final attempt was made to stabilize the structure that resulted in lattice buttressing and other supports being attached to the tower. This steel framework took on the weight of the watch-room and lantern room and solved the problem - the tower no longer vibrated. Also in 1903, because of complaints from mariners that the color of the tower as a day-mark made it difficult to discern the tower against the landscape, the lighthouse tower was painted white. (Lighthouse Digest archives.)
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2016


Wrecking Ball Planned at Sturgeon BayCanal Light Station
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2016

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History