Digest>May/Jun 2016

Photo Caption:

In 1925 the light atop this steel tower at the river’s edge officially became the Stony Point Lighthouse. This photo, taken in 1945, shows that the old fog bell tower had been demolished by then, and a bell was hung near the base of the iron skeletal light tower. From 1826 to 1977 there were several different fog bells used at Stony Point Lighthouse. The last one used there, which is inscribed with “U.S.L.H.S. 1925,” is now on display in the museum of the Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site. (Lighthouse Digest archives.)
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2016


A Faithful Life at a Faithful Light
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2016

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History