Digest>Jan/Feb 2013

Cover Caption:

This month’s cover is a vintage and rare color image of the 1856 tower of Gay Head Lighthouse on Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts showing the first keeper’s house, which was demolished in 1902 and replaced by a much larger structure. The lighthouse is also known as Aquinnah Lighthouse. In 1956 when the light station was automated, in a travesty to lighthouse preservation, the United States Coast demolished the keeper’s house. Today, the Gay Head Lighthouse is being threatened by erosion and is now in imminent danger of toppling down the eroding cliff. The lighthouse has been added to the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of Endangered Lighthouses. The image is courtesy of Jim Claflin of Kenrick A. Claflin & Son at www.LighthouseAntiques.net.
Back to the edition of: Jan/Feb 2013

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History