Digest>March 2000

Photo Caption:

Keeper William Hill served at the Calcasieu River Lighthouse until 1929. He served first as an Assistant Keeper while his brother Stephen was Keeper. Later William became the Keeper and his other brother Philip became the Assistant Keeper. In 1923 five drums of explosives washed up on the shore by the lighthouse. The drums were marked TNT and the labels indicated they contained explosives for a Howitzer Cannon. Keeper Hill wrote to the Superintendent of Lighthouses informing him of the explosives. He received a reply from the War Department in Washington telling him that they were perfectly safe to handle. They advised him to open the drums and dump the powder into deep water. Photograph courtesy of McNeese State University, Frazier Memorial Library.
Back to the edition of: March 2000


Calcasieu River Light-Lost But Not Forgotten
Back to the edition of: March 2000

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History