Digest>Mar/Apr 2011

Photo Caption:

Copy of an engraving showing the dedication of the last and current Eddystone Lighthouse by the Duke of Edinburg on May 27, 1882. It was reported that over 9,000 people witnessed the dedication at sea and about the same number were on hand for the land-based ceremony that followed. A number of American war ships, under the command of Commodore Stephen B. Luce, were on hand for the dedication of the lighthouse. In closing his remarks, Commodore Luce said, “As the Old England has given light to the physical world, let us hope that it may continue to give light to the moral and religious world.” Newspaper reports indicated that the crowd cheered at his remarks. Commodore Luce (1827-1917) went on to become an Admiral and the first president of the U.S. Naval War College. The remains of the lower section of the previous Eddystone Lighthouse built in 1759 by John Smeaton is shown to the right. The tower built by Smeaton was dismantled and re-erected on Plymouth Hoe, England as a monument to the builder, and still stands today as a popular tourist attraction. (Lighthouse Digest archives.)
Back to the edition of: Mar/Apr 2011


1960 Book Review Compares Famous Lighthouse Builder to Walt Disney
Back to the edition of: Mar/Apr 2011

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History