Digest>May/Jun 2021

Photo Caption:

Frank O. Hilt, who had been stationed at Matinicus Rock Lighthouse since 1913, was the head keeper when the Stevens-Peabody wedding took place at the lighthouse in 1923. In 1929, he became head keeper at Maine’s famous Portland Head Lighthouse where he served until his retirement in 1944. He then became the captain of a vacation schooner operating out of Camden, Maine. Born March 28, 1879, he died of a heart attack while getting a haircut in a barber shop in Camden, Maine on August 12, 1949. He is buried in the North Parish Cemetery in Wiley’s Corner (St. George) Maine. (Willard Hilt collection, Lighthouse Digest archives)
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2021


The First Ever Wedding at Maine’s Matinicus Rock Lighthouse
Back to the edition of: May/Jun 2021

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History