Digest>Sep/Oct 2020

Photo Caption:

Revealing old board and batten on the keeper’s house at Burnt Island Lighthouse. This house was built in 1857 to replace the original keeper’s house. During the restoration, a remnant of the past was discovered written on a wall with the following inscription: “Thick fog today – May 9, 1907 – Howard S. Haggett of Arrowisc, Maine.” A little sleuthing found that Mr. Haggett was listed in the 1906 Town Register as an employee of the U.S. Lighthouse Service’s repair department. This supports a statement made by Keeper Joseph Muise’s daughter Adele Bailey. She mentioned that government workers traveled from station to station to assist with major projects, and while on Burnt Island they slept in the back room adjacent to the station office. She expressed how she and her sisters loved it when workers stayed over because not only would they play games in the evenings, but mama’s cooking was so much better thanks to the stipend of $1.00/person/day.
Back to the edition of: Sep/Oct 2020


Burnt Island Light Readies for its 2021 Bicentennial
Back to the edition of: Sep/Oct 2020

All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.

to Lighthouse Digest

USLHS Marker Fund

Lighthouse History
Research Institute

Shop Online

Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024   Lighthouse Facts     Lighthouse History