Adolph H. Aronson (1872-1940) joined the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1899 as a seaman aboard the Hog Island Shoal Lightship LV-12. When a permanent lighthouse was finally constructed there in 1901, Adolph became the first assistant. He was promoted to head keeper in 1908 and then transferred to Pomham Rocks Lighthouse, also located in Rhode Island, until 1937 for a total of 38 years of service. (Courtesy Robert Sandberg)
Back to the edition of: Jul/Aug 2020
The Keeper's Wife: Nellie Johnson Aronson
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse History Research Institute
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024