The 1831 Whaleback Lighthouse on the Maine and New Hampshire border where Reuben T. Leavitt Sr. served as the lighthouse keeper in the 1850s. In the early years, the lighthouse was often called “Whales Back” Lighthouse. This tower no longer stands. It was replaced by a new tower that was built right next to it in 1872. However, the old tower remained standing for a number of years before it was demolished. (Lighthouse Digest archives.)
Back to the edition of: Sep/Oct 2016
Six Years Was Enough at Whaleback Lighthouse
All contents copyright © 1995-2024 by Lighthouse Digest®, Inc. No story, photograph, or any other item on this website may be reprinted or reproduced without the express permission of Lighthouse Digest. For contact information, click here.
Subscribe to Lighthouse Digest
USLHS Marker Fund
Lighthouse History Research Institute
Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2024